Getting information about the Human Rights Council
General information about the Human Rights Council
The Secretariat of the Human Rights Council manages two websites which are key information ressources about the Human Rights Council.
- The official web site of the Human Rights Council: This website provides access to official documents of the Council. These include adopted resolutions, reports that form the basis for discussions (such as reports of special procedures or UPR outcomes), the programme of work of a given session and many more. Official documents are the ones that are marked with an official UN symbol. For the Council, they start with A/HRC/... Access the website here.
- The Extranet of the Human Rights Council: The Extranet provides access to working documents and other documents of non-official nature. These include an annual meeting calendar listing all meetings of the Council, including its subsidiary bodies (such as the Social Forum, the Expert Mechanism of Indigenous Peoples or the UPR). It also includes the texts of oral statements delivered, a calendar of NGO side events, and many more. This website is password protected, yet you may wish to sign-up or simply log in with the following data: user name: hrc extranet, password: 1session.
Ressources on the Human Rights Council
Detailed information on the functioning of the Human Rights Coucil and its mechanisms, is available under Functioning of the Human Rights Council and our FAQ section.
Following discussions within the Human Rights Council
Following entire discussions in the Human Rights Council
To follow discussions within the Council in real time, watch the Live video webcast of sessions of the Human Rights Council (English on chanel 11, original language on chanel 12). You may also wish to see past discussions in the webcast archive (for archived videos before the 20th June 2011, see the old archive).
Texts of oral statements delivered can be found on the Extranet (login: hrc extranet, password: 1session - under "HRC Sessions" select the relevant session, then click on "Oral Statements" in the upper left corner).
To assist to a session in person, please refer to NGO participation.
Meeting summaries and analytical reports on Human Rights Council sessions
For an analytical overview of developments within the Human Rights Council and other human rights mechanisms (such as for instance the Third Committee of the UN General Assembly or treaty bodies), please see the Human Rights Monitor Quarterly. Annual analytical coverage of the Human Rights Council is produced by the Quaker UN Office. A more journalistic coverage of discussions is provided twice a day by the UN information service in Geneva.
Basic texts of the Human Rights Council
The following official documents form the basis for the functionning of the Human Rights Council:
- General Assembly, Resolution 60/251, 3 April 2006: Creation of the Human Rights Council
- Human Rights Council, Resolution 5/1, 18 June 2007: Organisation of the Council's work and establishment of its mechanisms (so-called "Institution building text" or "IB pack")
- Human Rights Council, Resolution 5/2, 18 June 2007: Code of Conduct for special procedure mandate holders
- Human Rights Council, Decision 6/102, 27 September 2007: Follow-up on resolution 5/1, comprising general guidelines for the provision of information under the UPR, requirements for eligibility of candidates for special procedures mandates, as well as provisions regarding the Advisory Committee
- Human Rights Council, Presidential Statement 8/PRST/1, 9 April 2008: Modalities and practices for the universal periodic review process
- Human Rights Council, Presidential Statement 8/PRST/2, 18 June 2008: Terms of office of special procedure mandate-holders
- Human Rights Council, Presidential Statement 9/PRST/2, 14 September 2008: Follow-up to President’s statement 8/1
- Human Rights Council, Resolution 16/21, 12 April 2011: Outcome of the Review of the work and functioning of the Human Rights Council
- General Assembly, Resolution 65/281, 17 June 2011: Outcome of the Review of the Human Rights Council
- Human Rights Council, Decision 17/119, 17 June 2011: Follow up to the Human Rights Council Resolution 16/21 with regard to the Universal Periodic Review